Deadline: 15 February 2012
Open to: Applicants must hold a 5-year University degree, or equivalent, in life sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, biotechnology), physics, engineering, chemistry, or related fields.
VIB is offering eight PhD scholarships for international life sciences students. Apply now to kick-start your scientific career in a centre of excellence, backed by first class research facilities and training in our multidisciplinary, international scientific community. VIB scientists work at the frontlines of molecular biology, cell biology, developmental biology, structural biology, plant systems biology, genetics, biochemistry and microbiology. VIB is a life sciences research centre in Flanders, Belgium, in the heart of Europe.
English is used in all VIB laboratories for scientific communication. Therefore, candidates must have an excellent command of English.You can find the list of Ph.D. research projects that are selected for the VIB International Ph.D. Program 2012.
- Applicants are preferentially not older than 28 years at the application deadline.
- Applicants must hold a 5-year University degree, or equivalent, in life sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, biotechnology), physics, engineering, chemistry, or related fields.Applicants, who have not yet received their degree at the time of the application deadline, can also apply, but a final certificate of the degree is needed no later than 2 months after the selection interviews, which will take place in May 2010.
- Medical students who wish to obtain a Ph.D. degree can also apply after completion of their M.D. exams.
- The VIB International Ph.D. Program is aimed towards all non-Belgians, currently living abroad.
- A language test for English, such as the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is not necessary for the application but nonetheless highly recommended.
Selected candidates will be fully funded with a yearly net salary of €23.500 and are expected to start in October 2012.
How to apply?
Select the projects of your interest from the list of research projects.
Download the application form.
Submit the Application Form and scans of degrees and certificates:
- Completed Application Form,
- Bachelor degree,
- Masters degree (if applicable),
- English language certificate (if applicable). Please note that VIB does not yet have a TOEFL Institutional code. If you take the TOEFL-test specifically to enter our Ph.D. Program, please use the TOEFL codes of either Ghent University, the K.U.Leuven, the University of Antwerp or the Vrije Universiteit Brussel,
- GRE certificate (if applicable),
- Transcript of marks (academic records).
Download the Candidate Evaluation Letter. Contact two scientists/colleagues who can judge your potential as a Ph.D.-student. Ask both of them to:
- complete the Candidate Evaluation Letter
- write a letter of recommendation for your application
- send both documents to the VIB International PhD Program Committee
Program Committee VIB International Ph.D. Program
Rijvisschestraat 120, B-9052 Ghent