The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of war and other situations of violence. Participate in the ICRC Young Reporter Competition and get an inside look at the ICRC’s humanitarian action, in collaboration with national Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The four best entries will win a one-week mission to ICRC delegations in Georgia, Lebanon, Liberia and the Philippines. You will get to interview young people affected by armed conflict or other situations of violence and have a chance to report back to your peers, using your own words and creative talents. With the guidance and coaching of an ICRC communication specialist, selected candidates will produce a news report on their mission—in print or film—to be published and/or shown in a variety of media outlets. The finished products will be presented during a ceremony held in Geneva, Switzerland, around May 8, 2011.
* Age: 18-25
* Excellent English and/or French language skills
* Strong communication skills and creative expression
* Ability to work as part of a multicultural team
* Interest in youth issues and humanitarian action
* Proven engagement in voluntary work related to social/humanitarian services
* Internet access
* Valid passport
* Proof of a previous communication project (article, photo project, video)
* Letter of recommendation
* Availability for a one week mission to an ICRC delegation (January or February 2011), as well as a trip to Geneva to present the finished product (May 2011)
To enter the competition, candidates must:
* submit a previous communication project (article, photo reportage, video) on a humanitarian topic of their choice. The project will be assessed on the following criteria: editorial quality, originality of the topic and approach, relevance of the message.
* provide a CV
* provide a letter of recommendation from a relevant person who can verify the applicant’s interest in youth issues and humanitarian action and/or their experience in voluntary work for social/humanitarian services
* fill in and submit the application form
All the documents need to be submitted no later than October 1, 2010 to email@example.com with the title “ICRC Young Reporter Competition”
The International Committee of the Red Cross will carry out the selection process and will contact short-listed candidates for a phone interview in November 2010.
With any further queries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org